Friday, July 3, 2009

So, to the actual writing...
We have been paid off by waiting and not jumping on the first person who was interested in Dan's room, who was kind of lame. We now have two interested girls who we liked a lot, which is a curse in itself. So we decided to go with the first one who saw it and she will be letting us know on Monday. Looking for roommates is not nearly as bad as looking for apartments, but still quite annoying.
On Monday I spent most of the day working from home. Sitting in my sunny kitchen and listening to all of the birds chirping and the breeze in the trees always makes me feel good, even when not being very productive.
Around three, an acquaintance of mine from Lancaster came by for a visit. Erin had begun a free market in Lancaster and I had interviewed her about it once right before I moved away, since I have this latent interest in free markets. We reconnected since I am still on her free market email list and she was in town looking at apartments for a future move. In our communications we kind of acted like we were old friends who were reconnecting after years, but the reality is that we hadn't ever really hung out and didn't know each other too well. We sat in the kitchen awkwardly for a bit chatting and then I took her for a little tour of the neighborhood, of course showing her the most important Greenpoint landmark, the Rite Aid that used to be a theater, and a roller rink and thus still has the balcony, oval shape, and huge disco ball. I also shower her the old Faber Castell pencil factory with huge pencils in the architecture. The awkwardness did not last and we ended the day having tea on the sidewalk at this very cool cafe on Franklin.
I spent the week alternately working in New Brunswick and at home. At work I have been stuck calling transit agencies for interviews about using ITS. Calling people is not really my cup of tea, but it is good practice to get over my irrational somewhat fear of calling people professionally. Especially good to have the practice with friendly Midwesterners who love to talk. I spent a lot more time on this project than I should have and my boss made some comments about it.
Yesterday I started to go to lunch at 11:30, but then remembered that my current favorite prof was having a goodbye lunch since he is going on to Berkeley, so I went back to the office and sat around for 15 min and left again. The lunch went until 1:30, so I ended up spending two hours in the lunch process and thus didn't get my full 15 hours this week. Meh.
Today we will be leaving for Lancaster for the weekend. We are going to meet up with old friends of mine. Tonight we will go to First Friday. On the 1st Fri of every month all of the many studios in Lancaster stay open until nine often give out food and wine and tons of people fill the streets. It is more of a social event than anything, but very fun. Tomorrow we will spend the day picking Mulberries and making jam.
Anyway, gots to go if I'm to eat breakfast before I go.

No comments: