Friday, July 3, 2009

Don't talk to the police... and now I will write

First off, this video must be watched by any American:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8z7NC5sgik
This is important advice about our 5th Amendment rights and why you should never talk to the police. I think this is especially important for teenagers and college students to watch since they are more easily intimidated, and automatically considered criminals by the police. Remember that the format is of professor to law students. There are also some good comments here that talk to the grey area in this, although most of them are typical internet fools. Ok, if you get busted red handed smoking pot, maybe it's time to be a little honest. At that point he can choose to search you anyway and you've already 'said' to the police that you were smoking pot.
The phrase, 'there are so many stupid people on the internet' is kind of funny because, no, they are actually all around you everyday, they just haven't opened their mouths to tell you how stupid they are. But they vote, and they get jobs that give them the power to affect your life. Yikes.
I came to the conclusion yesterday that I need to write more, particularly about my observations, and especially when traveling. I am reading this excellent book called, The Discovery of France. The author, Graham Robb spent several years cycling around France and another few years researching and tells a very good story of what was going on around France, outside of the typical Paris, politico life. At least he does what he can with the data he has. I won't get into it, but I was thinking about how little had been written down and kept - things that would have seemed rather mundane at the time, but would be of great interest now. That lead me to the idea that I must write as much as possible, for who knows the value of it in the future. I mean, we are all just dead meat waiting to die and probably won't make that big of an impression on the world, but written word has a much greater chance to last much longer and tell much more than most physical achievements we might make. Not that I will abandon my trade and all the things I tell myself are making the world a better place, but I will also try to put as much word to, at the least, silicon and perhaps it will surface someday and some professor will happily be able to say, wow, "there is evidence that the such and such existed in Ohio as early as 2009." I also understand that writing is available to so many more people than ever before, which makes the importance of my pieces that much less valuable, but not entirely useless, so I continue.

No comments: