Wednesday, October 3, 2007

What's Up

I figured that this time I would just post part of a letter that I wrote my ma since it sums up everything nicely. Enjoy.
I am doing wonderful. Very busy myself. The weather here is rainy, but not that I didn't expect that. It's not too bad though b/c it doesn't rain very hard on not too long either. So it is perpetually that damp, after rain feeling which I like. I'm inside most of the time anyway, so that is no problem. At least, not yet.
I am getting some leads on work as well as info about my career path and whatnot. Housing is still up in the air. I haven't heard yet about the place I applied for before, but I would sure like to have a home for myself. I'm tired of jumping around. Eric's g/f has been really cool and hooked me up with a sublet for Sep and then her and her roommates let me crash for the next couple weeks in this little Harry Potter dungeon under the stairs in the basement. I have to duck below light bulbs and beams to get into my room, heh. But it's actually pretty comfy once inside and the price is certainly right.
I really love this city. It is an amazingly pleasant place to walk around. Being a temperate rain forest, sort of, there are tons of really nice trees and everything is incredibly foliated. There are many beautiful houses and many people have their own gardens. The environment is also really good for biking and walking and the bus system is quite good as well. I rarely use my car. There are tons of amazing restaurants as Portlanders are all about their food. Lots of local and organic food and quite delicious. The coffee is also really amazing and there are tons of coffee shops everywhere, although they seem to close pretty early, which is annoying. Actually, everything closes pretty early. I can handle that though, it's just a bit of adjustment after NYC. Does help to stay on a regular schedule, that's for sure.
I am also really looking forward to taking advantage of all the wonderful nature in the area. I don't have a lot of time, but I will definitely need to get out and go hiking, take drives and do other cool stuff. There is just so much.

No comments: