Sunday, September 30, 2007

Beach Tournament

Yesterday I got up early and made the trip to Astoria for a beach hat tournament. When I heard beach tournament last Sunday, I thought "this time of year?" The organizer assured me that the weather would not be too bad, maybe a little chilly.
I have never before attempted to play frisbee in as much wind as there was yesterday. The air was chill, rain menaced and there was a continuous gale blasting down the field. The games were pretty much set by the results of the lag, the initial pulling contest in beach ultimate that determines who will begin with possession and where. We lost all lags, but won our first game with an upwind goal.
Despite the weather conditions I had a wonderful time. Somehow I was in better shape than most of the other guys on my team and ended up playing almost every point. That was fine by me since I would tighten up and get cold whenever I stopped playing. I was also pretty excited b/c I finally have insurance.
At the end we took refuge in the back of the tournament pickup truck and ate grilled salmon to replenish our energy. After eating, our car went into town to go to a beer festival, which I must say was pretty lame. The weather had something to do with it, but when you walk up and see Budweiser written across one of the trailers, you aren't instilled with a lot of confidence about the quality of the fare. Turned out to be just the truck, but you gotta cover that shit up.
I was lucky enough to be able to talk about my trade for most of the time since we met up with a couple that had played with us and the boyfriend was an Urban Planning student, and on the ride back Kira, the driver, kept asking me about traffic engineering. I love talking about that stuff, but there are very few people who are actually interested in hearing about it. I'm sure my father can certainly empathize.

No comments: