Monday, November 24, 2008

Longest commute ever

So my first, and only, mistake was that I decided that I wanted a leisurely breakfast so I chose to stay a half hour longer and make eggs. I rode my bike to the L instead of the 7, which I suppose was my next mistake. I was running a bit behind and decided that I should go with the ol reliable L instead of riding my bike over the Pulaski, which I am uncertain of the time. So I see a train on the platform and YAY! I run down and jump on. And we sit. And sit...
"Ladies and gentlemen, we are being held momentarily by dispatch. Thank you for your patience!"
and...
...
.
"Ladies and gentlemen, (you know it's a problem when a real person is announcing) we are waiting for a train directly in front of us with its brakes in emergency. Thank you for your patience."
...
refrain
...
20 minutes
...
"Ladies and gentlemen, the train in front of us is preparing to depart. We will be moving in a few minutes."
So, ok, I've now missed the 9 o'clock bus, but the 9:30 will be fine.
Right.
I caught the 9:30 with ten minutes to spare!
We pull out of the Port Authority and a big ol' Brooklyn accent comes on with much authority informing us not to walk around because "we don't want you fallin' and gettin' hurt. If you gotta use your phone don't scream into it. There are people around you. If you gotta scream you need a new phone or service plan, your neighbor will thank you. Phones: use em but don't scream."
As we exit the tunnel, Mr. Dyker Heights comes back on. "We got an accident up ahead and I'm bein' told we gotta go through Hoboken. Gonna be a rougher ride, so don't go walkin' around."
Hoboken turns out to not be so bad and we get on the Turnpike, finally.
Then... badda badda badda... rumble strips and we are slowing and pulling to the side. This is not our exit. This is the shoulder. We have now broken down.
Everyone looks at one another in dismay. An occassional, "wha the fuu?" are uttered.
"We gotta nother bus ten minutes behind us."
A few minutes later a bus pulls up.
We board.
And we're off!
To East Brunswick Tower Center!! Yay!
Just out of walking distance of my actual destination. Since this guy isn't a Princeton bus, he ain't goin' to no New Brunswick.
FINALLY, ten minutes later a "not in service" pulls up and we board for the rest of our lovely sojourn into the New Jersey suburbaside.

No comments: