Friday, August 10, 2007

My Dear New York

I shall be leaving soon, but I shan't forget you...

New York
A city to love
A city to hate
A city to elate
A city to berate.

Tonight the BQE (Brooklyn-Queens Expressway) was my friend. Actually the convenience of having this ugly, noisy viaduct cutting through my near neighborhood has served me quite well in my time here. Not only does she provide me quick access to LGA, but also a shortcut to the L train. She provides not only a guide for visitors to easily locate my abode, but a protective buffer against the foolish drivers and, as proved tonight, against the elements.
This raised expressway, I-278, was cut through the neighborhoods several decades ago for quick access to Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Is. The dead space below was filled with a lengthy expanse of parking. I have recently taken to riding my bike to the L train on my nightly excursions b/c the walk back late at night while tired is not as pleasant as during the early evening. The shortest way back is along Meeker St, which is a one-way pair running on either side of the BQE.
Being a one-way pair however makes biking this route not the safest. I recently made the not so novel discovery that I could ride along the parking in the middle, duh! Tonight I was pleased also because it kept me dry on a rainy night. I hadn't had to ride back in the rain before and for some reason it pleased me so much to have the double benefit of safety and shelter that I felt it necessary to write, likely more for my own future amusement than for not boring the hell out of my few readers. By the way, I love you guys and will be seeing most of you soon!!

No comments: